Monday, August 15, 2011

Missing the Midwest, pt I

Last week went by so fast and I feel like we're approaching fall way too fast! Today is another gray day in Finland, but yesterday we still had lots of sunshine. Days are getting shorter though, last night we even turned the living room lamp on. I don't think we've done that all summer!

I have to say I'm not a big fan of Finnish fall. I haven't experienced one in years and I'm kinda dreading it. I'm definitely a spring/summer person, I don't really like the darkness, the rain or the cold. I do like sunny winter days though! Surprisingly enough I find myself missing living in the Midwest where the summers are long and the falls mild. I miss the sunny winters, but I don't miss being stuck in my house for days because of the snowstorms :) Also I don't miss the tornado season, and the fact that weather can change in a heartbeat in the Midwest. Finland is way more predictable.


My husband's hometown in Nebraska, November 2010

So last week my husband started working and lil man and I had to start getting used to surviving without him (my husband is a real hands-on dad, he changes diapers like a champ) :) I'll admit it was pretty a tough start; lil man got horrible side effects from a vaccination and was feverish and pukey for four days. My mom stopped by on Wednesday and Thursday so I could go to my appointments (I confess, I had my teeth whitened haha). By Friday the lil man was feeling a bit better and we went grocery shopping with him. And on Saturday he was feeling a lot better, so we went to Ikea to have lunch and did some more shopping. I have to say, Ikea has really delicious cakes for a very affordable price! This time I managed to escape Ikea without a massive loss of money haha. We only bought a hamper, drawing paper for the lil man and batteries for his train set. He got the train set in February, so it was about time we got it running :) I also got him some crayons from the grocery store, since I'd rather like to see him drawing things than watching tv.

On Sunday we had some friends over. One of my amazing bridesmaids organized a "favors for the bride and groom" game at our wedding. A few randomly selected guests were assigned a monthly favor for us. The first one for July was to buy the bride and groom ice cream, so yesterday our friends brought us some Aino chocolate ice cream and it was delicious! Next in line is a babysitting favor :)

Hope everyone is having an amazing week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The job is pretty cool, I must admit. I am a little sad that I have to be missing you guys all day long, but not so sad about the diaper changing :)