Saturday, August 17, 2013

#nogreenthumb

If you read this blog and use Instagram, you may have noticed the Sugar Antelope is now on Instagram :) I couldn't use the app with my own trusty crackberry, but I got a new phone from work. I probably won't be super-active on Instagram, but will upload photos every now and then.

If you have checked out my Instagram photos you've already seen this one:


It's my China rose (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis) in bloom, rather pretty! I have no green thumb to speak of, but China rose has been one of the few indoor plants that I've managed to keep alive. Originally I had one mother plant, but I've done some cutting and now I have three roses and one more is pushing out roots as we speak :) Here they are:

This one is the mother plant.

This one was the first baby. It gave up the new (third) baby plant that's next to it rather hazardously. Like I said, I have no green thumb, so I dropped the thing accidentally and two branches came off :D I figured I might as well get another plant out of the mess.

Here's the second baby plant. The photo of the flower is from this one.

This is the only non-rose that we have. It's some sort of succulent house plant, hens-and-chicks I guess. Little man picked it out and I bought it for him. I've had a Christmas cactus before and it didn't die (I gave it away when I moved abroad), so maybe this one will survive as well :)

I'm better with my outdoor garden, I had some chamomile and lettuce growing this summer and they turned out pretty good. Since we most likely won't be living here anymore next summer, I didn't bother with the garden that much. I just bought some pansy seeds and got some color to our garden as well. 

Anyone else have China roses or hens-and-chicks? 
Maybe you could give me a few tips on how to take better care of them :)
 Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend!

No comments: