Sunday, August 4, 2013

Guilty pleasures: celebrity scents, part II

About a year ago I confessed in an entry that I have several celebrity scents. I think it's time to confess again; I have more celebrity scents :) I've acquired some new ones thanks to trips husband and I have made. Celebrity scents are great for a person like me that gets tired of a scent pretty soon and does not want to wear the same scent twice in a row. They're very affordable and many of the scents in my collection have been less than ten dollars a bottle in places like T.J. Maxx. And now that I actually have a life outside home again, I've been using the scents a lot more.

Here are some pretty pictures of my scents :)

Four times Paris Hilton! Actually I have fifth Paris scent somewhere as well. But here are, from the back left, "Paris Hilton", "Siren", "Can Can" (introduced here) and in the front a small bottle of "Tease." 

My first roommate in Nebraska loved "Paris Hilton" and I do remember it sometimes smelling rather pleasant in our room. It seemed to be The Scent among college girls that year. Years later I cave in and bought the scent myself and I really liked it. Nowadays it's my go-to scent, it's so non-intrusive that it can be worn anywhere. It's not too strong, but strong enough and is very pleasant indeed. It's a subtle and watery fruity-floral (apple, melon, mimose) scent .

"Siren" is a blindbuy, it was only a few dollars, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I really really liked it! It's a bit stronger than "Paris Hilton" and I often wear it when I head out in the evening. It's another floral-fruity (frangipani, apricot, vanilla) scent.

"Tease" is another few dollars blindbuy, and not such a success. It's an alright white floral (jasmine, tuberose, bergamot) scent, but I'm not that into white florals in general.


 The Britney Spears scents from the left: "Hidden Fantasy", "Midnight Fantasy" (introduced here) and "Curious: In Control"

I first bought "Midnight Fantasy" and since I really liked it I decided to invest a few dollars on another of Britney's scents. I chose "Curious: In Control" since I actually do like vanilla, just not the plain The Body Shop Vanilla, scents. This one is a sweet vanilla (vanilla, tonka bean, orchid). It's borderline tacky sweet though, so I don't really wear it to the office that often. But I'm not going to deny, I love it :)

I saw "Hidden Fantasy" on sale at Cheapsmells.com a few months back and decided to check it out. I figured it might be a bit similar to "Midnight Fantasy" and I was right, but in a good way! "Hidden Fantasy" is a bit more grown up, spicier version of "Midnight Fantasy" and I wear it to the office a lot. It's a sweet, but not too sweet (tangerine, vanilla, amber) scent.

Jessica Simpson "Fancy" and one of my newer acquisitions, Taylor Swift "Wonderstruck Enchanted"

I received "Fancy" as a present a few years back, but never used it much. I rediscovered it last year and found myself actually liking it. It's a sweet (caramel, vanilla, apricot) scent and rather strong. I can't make up my mind whether I really really like it, since sometimes it smells really great, sometimes I can't stand it :D I don't wear it too often, since it seems to be scent you can overdose easily with. I've also had "Fancy Love" and "Fancy Nights" from Jessica Simpson, but ended up not liking either of them (the first one was too sharp of a floral and the second one had too much tobacco scent in it) so I sold them forward.

"Wonderstruck Enchanted" is my newest purchase from last week and so far I've liked it a lot. It's another sweet vanilla (I see a pattern here haha), but it's got a twist that I haven't quite figured out yet. I think it has berries and passion fruit, which makes it a bit different from my other vanilla scents.

And the non-celebrity scent gang, from the left Lancôme "Tresor Midnight Rose," Grès "Cabotine Floralisme," Escada "Magnetism" and Van Cleef & Arpels "Féerie Rose des Neiges." The last one I already introduced here.

 "Tresor Midnight Rose" is one of the few scents I've actually paid more than a few dollars for. You can read the rather gross story why here

"Cabotine Floralisme" is another blindbuy from Cheapsmells.com, since it was priced nicely. I remember the original Cabotine from the cruises to Stockholm when I was a kid. I always found the green bottle cap kind of weird looking :D Since it's launch, they've launched a number of different Cabotines. I picked "Floralisme" just because of its price and for the low price it was alright. Definitely not my favorite, but a nevertheless pleasant floral (grapefuit, plum, jasmine) scent.

"Magnetism" is one of my all time favorites. It's really inviting scent with spicy vanilla, red berries and pineapple. It's somehow a very warm scent and I tend to wear it more during the winters.

Whimsically cute packaging of "Hidden Fantasy"

I read somewhere that distinguished nose would not be attracted to celebrity scents, but would prefer designer and niche scents. I like niche scents as well, they're just out of my price range right now. As for designer scents, I don't honestly see a whole lot of difference between them and celebrity scents. The latter might lose in longevity, but I've found them to be just as pleasant otherwise.

What do you guys think? 
Do you have any of the scents pictured here and what do you think about them?

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

No comments: