Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

We won't really celebrate Thanksgiving this year, since we're living in Finland and my husband will be on a business trip to Austria during the actual Thanksgiving. Last year we celebrated Thanksgiving at my mother-in-law's place and the previous years I was either in Kansas, Vermont or upstate New York for Thanksgiving, so we've yet to have our very own Thanksgiving. Maybe next year?

This year I will most likely do some Thanksgiving celebrating with the other North American Studies students, if I'm feeling well enough (I've had the worst case of sniffles the last two weeks), but other than that, since my husband won't be here, Thanksgiving will be just like any other weekend.

Since I was born and bred in Finland, Thanksgiving doesn't have a deep-rooted meaning for me. I do nevertheless really enjoy the Thanksgiving spirit. I love the big family dinners and the delicious foods. It's like Christmas without the commercial gifting obligations :) I love everything that has sweet potato or pumpkin (really wish I could have some Dairy Queen Pumpkin Pie Blizzard right about now! Maybe I'll try this recipe instead).

Husband and lil man watching Macy's Thanksgiving Parade in 2010. I went to see the actual parade in NYC in 2005 and I have to say it was pretty cool :)

How majority of our Thanksgiving break is usually spent; driving :)

More on Thanksgiving on Wikipedia.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments: