Friday, July 25, 2014

Κρήτη, Ελλάδα

We just got back from an amazing vacation in one of my favorite countries, Greece! I've been there almost a dozen times and did a summer study abroad in Northern Greece, in Thessaloniki. This time we traveled to the island of Crete, where we spent our honeymoon. This was little man's first time in Greece, so we planned our trip mainly with him in mind. I'll do some photo flooding later from different places, but here are some general photos from our trip.

While Greece never fails me, our hotel this time did. It was near the village of Tavronitis and had nice pool areas (three of them actually), but the room was horrible. We complained and the travel agency promised us a gift card as a compensation.

Husband and lil man walking to the nearby beach. The beach was a five minute walk away.

The beach was a pebble beach and there weren't that many people around. The few people that were there, well, they appeared to be nudists and really didn't want any tan lines, anywhere. To each his own, I guess.

But if we kept our eyes towards the sea, the view was amazing :)

Since the hotel was so poor, we were lucky to have reserved a rental car in advance, so we got some extra days and went roadtripping for most of our vacation. Here's our trusty rented Peugeot.

Typical scenery while driving in Crete

Gorgeous mountains of Lefka Ori

One of the places we visited was the cave of Agia Sofia near Topolia. You had to walk a few hundred steps to get there. Poor husband had the carry lil man all the way to the top :)

The cave is pretty impressive though, and the entrance is free. You can leave a few coins to support the church that offers services there. You could roam around the cave freely, which was awesome.

Inside the Agia Sofia cave

If you plan a visit there, I suggest wearing real shoes and maybe carrying a flashlight. It was really dark in some parts of the cave and extremely slippery. I almost fell several times with my flip flops and got my hands dirty with pigeon and bat poop since I had to hold on to the rocks in order to not to fall :) It was really wet in the back parts of the cave and you couldn't see anything. But lil man absolutely loved visiting the cave, exciting stuff!

We also visited the mountain village of Spili

Where we had dinner with a view :)

We were the only customers at that taverna with the exception of this little gal. 
I'm not really a cat person, but for whatever reason cats always like to be close to me. I think cats are beautiful though, so I don't mind.

Sunset near Tavronitis. 

As promised, I'll post some more photos of the sites we visited later. There are also some photos on Instagram: sugarantelope
Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend!

2 comments:

Leena said...

I have never been to Greece but it looks beautiful !

Sugar said...

Greece is just amazing! And the island of Crete has so much to offer; history, nature (and not only the beaches :) and good food. Worth a visit.